Disk access problems plus helpctr.exe problem

ryetee 13:47 16 Jan 05

I have three problems: I am convinced two of which are related. I installed an Iomega 120 GB external hard drive to use for backups. That should have come up as F: - it did but there was also a G: which is a complete mystery. However, at first it was possible to back up to F: but now, although it appears in Windows Explorer as a drive, I cannot access it, the message being to please insert a disk. That’s problem number one.

So I went to have a look at Add Hardware. Aha! There I get an error message saying “You can only install one device at a time. Another device installation is underway, when it is finished you can try this wizard again”. And, of course, I am not in the process of installing hardware at all. This is problem number two, which seems to me likely to be associated with number one.

So we go to Help and Support where the error message “The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005). Click on OK to terminate the application”. Which is problem three.

This is an a Compaq NX7000 running Windows XP Professional. Yes, SP2 is loaded but I honestly can’t recall whether these problems started before or after that was done.

Any bright ideas?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…