Dish for freeview?

Chrissib 08:54 08 Sep 10

Not sure if anyone else has this problem, having given Sky it's marching orders because of their overblown charges, Got freeview instead. But was amazed to learn the signal comes in on the terrestrial normal antenna. Hence the signal continues to break up and pixelate the first sign of a gust of wind, or spec of rain.

I've reported this to Frreview, but their answer is that the signal will be boosted once the big 'switchover' has happened. (wont hold my breath for that)..

My question in the interim is, can I use my old satelite dish to improve the freeview signal, as it is still up on the roof?

MIke 09:17 08 Sep 10

If you still got your Sky box you can get a card from them to just watch the encrypted Free channels.
Taken from Sky Freesat from Sky

I already have Sky digital satellite equipment - what else do I need?

All you need to gain access to the free channels available on the digital satellite platform is a Freesat from Sky viewing card, which costs just £25. If you’d like to access the interactive services available, you’ll also need a working phone line. To purchase a viewing card please phone Sky on 08448 244 400.

Alternatively get a Freesat box and just connec t your dish to that. click here

Batch 16:44 08 Sep 10

Just to clarify, Freeview and Freesat are two entirely separate services using different technology.

Freeview is a terrestrial service using the same transmission towers, domestic type aerials and frequency bands as old analogue TV. Note that although it is the same frequency bands as analogue, the way in which the signal is carried within those bands is entirely different.

Freesat is a satellite service using satellite technology - and so in the same ballpark as Sky.

Freeview and Freesat technologies are not compatible. E.g. you don't use a satellite dish with Freeview.

Poitier 18:58 08 Sep 10

Chrissib,
A signal booster will make an enormous improvement to your reception.I use a Maxview HGBI-1way high gain digital signal booster obtained from Amazon.com.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…