discussion board software

Ivor_Monkey 13:57 17 Nov 03

Does anyone know whether the software for these kinds of discussion boards is open source/share ware or copyrighted and licenceable?

I'm specifically thinking of the proboard software. I know it can be hosted for free on some servers, but was wondering if there was a copyright problem if such a discussion board were hosted on a private server.

Also does anyone know what demands such a discussion board would make on a server? Say per 100 threads each 10 individual contributions?
Thanks

Taran 15:21 17 Nov 03

One of my favourites, assuming you don't want to code your own, is phpBB click here

Another excellent choice is Invision click here

It very much depends on what you want out of the bulletin board and your ISP limitations on its use within your account. Some ISPs allow one MySQL database but will not allow it for discussion boards. Others allow multiple MySQL databases and don't seem to mind what use you put them to.

Other considerations can include attachments in relation to bandwidth use. If you allow people to post images or send files to one another (or even if you use the board to send out multiple emailshots to members) it can all eat into your available bandwidth very quickly.

phpBB is freeware to most users, but you should check out the licensing terms to make sure your intended use fits into its conditions.

As far as server demands go, obviously the more traffic your board gets the greater the demand on your web server. This is something you may want to ask your web host about since they should be able to advise you based on your account type and their existing experience of available boards that other users may have on their sites.

Just don't go istalling a board because you can. I rarely use discussion boards on sites and even when I do I they are normally closed off for specific corporate use rather than general public access. Identify the need and/or probably traffic before you go ahead.

T

Pesala 20:34 17 Nov 03

click here

I like the phpBB forums that I visit. Have a look at the Opera thread for a few other options.

Ivor_Monkey 22:15 17 Nov 03

Taran
Thanks. I am thinking of a discussion for use on my company's intranet. I guess we would host the board on our servers. I don't know if that makes any difference.

Ivor_Monkey 22:19 17 Nov 03

Pesala
Thanks for the interesting link.

Ivor_Monkey 16:21 18 Nov 03

I am thinking of a discussion board for use on my company's intranet. I guess we would host the board on our servers. Does that make any difference to the technical demands?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…