Discrete XP HD environment

novis 23:41 12 Oct 09

I have Windows Vista installed on my Toshiba laptop - however some of my hardware that runs on XP does not run on Vista.

Could I instal XP on an external hard drive and run it as a separate environment from which to run this hardware [scanner; voice recorder]

What might the problems be? Any advice would be appreciated.

Stuartli 23:44 12 Oct 09

Have you tried Compatibility Mode in Vista for XP?

novis 00:06 13 Oct 09

No - where do I find it & what is it?

novis 10:22 13 Oct 09

Found it - tried it - message tells me the software is installed correctly - however, when I try to scan I get a message telling me 'no hardware found' - as well as the fact that the scanner light indicating that the scanner is connected to the software doesn't indicate that it is.

... what now?

DieSse 11:17 13 Oct 09

Scanner name/model please.

To be honest - scanners are not expensive normally (unless it's a special type), and IMO you'd be better of getting a supported scanner.

If you have to buy XP - a scanner would likely be cheaper. If you already have XP on another system - it may be simpler to scan on that and transfer the images by memory stick.

novis 13:36 13 Oct 09

Sound advice on which I reflect every time I have to take out an old slow laptop in order to scan. The scanner is a Visioneer Onetouch 7100 USB - I've tried downloading software from their website - and even bought an up-dated software.

No luck.

The scanner isn't the only hardware that doesn't work, which is why I am contemplating a dramatic alternative like running my copy of XP on an external HD - if that's feasible.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now