Disconnections

Hunnyb2252 09:38 14 Jan 14

I have a Thompson TG585 v7 which I've had for about two years, never had problems with it before but my internet keeps disconnecting (since last March when I moved here). However, when I complain to my service provider they keep changing the frequency, which is no help at all as the internet cuts off at least ten times a day (every day!!), is it my internet or the router?

Secret-Squirrel 11:58 14 Jan 14

".............. is it my internet or the router?"

The next time you have a disconnection, immediately look at the "Broadband" and "Internet" lights on your router and let me know the status - ie: flashing, solid, or off.

Also let me know whether you're using a wired or wireless connection to the router.

Hunnyb2252 17:19 15 Jan 14

Secret-Squirrel: Thanks for replying so quickly.

I have a wireless PC and router but when the internet goes off the green light also goes off. Incidentally, since my last post I haven't had any problems with it. I also reported the problem again (through email)to my ISP,they asked me a few questions and after I replied the problem vanished, not sure if they have sorted it out their end but the internet doesn't cut out as often. I'm not saying it's cured altogether but for now it seems stable. Thank you so much for your help.

Kind regards

Hunnyb2252

Secret-Squirrel 19:02 15 Jan 14

Thanks for replying.

If the router's Internet light is off then it's either a problem with your router or your broadband connection. If it's the latter then your ISP can tweak things at their end to help stabilise your connection - that may account for why you've not had any disconnections.

Make sure though that all devices in your home that are plugged into a phone socket (phones, fax machines, Sky box, etc) are connected via a filter. If you don't use a filter then that introduces noise on to the line which can easily cause disconnections.

"However, when I complain to my service provider they keep changing the frequency"

That sounds like they were trying to tweak your wireless connection. From what you've told me so far, I don't think that's the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac