Disconnecting External Hard Drive

Mclearns Bald 00:19 12 Apr 07

When I click on the 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon on the bottom right of my screen and then select the external hard drive for stopping and removal, I sometimes get a message saying 'Device is not ready for removal, please try again later'. Sometimes I have to wait for ages until it allows me to remove it.

Why does this occur and is there anything I can do that will allow me to safely remove it any time I want?

johndrew 10:28 12 Apr 07

Because the device is in use by the system for some reason. Perhaps being written to or maybe being read from. It may also be used as a data cache by the system.

I am Spartacus 10:34 12 Apr 07

Sometimes closing Windows Explorer helps in speeding up the process.

pj123 15:01 12 Apr 07

I never use Safely Remove Hardware. I just switch it off. Never caused me any problems yet.

No doubt it will now, having confessed.

wee eddie 16:46 12 Apr 07

Just leave it until you close the PC down and then disconnect it

Ho-Lin-Sok 21:33 14 Apr 07

If you go to device manager click properties on the drive and then policies you then have 2 options for write caching. The default is for quick removal,the other option may suit your purpose better.

woodchip 21:47 14 Apr 07

Turn Restore off for the drive, You only need Restore for the Operating System Partition. on most comps C:\

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…