disconnecting broadband connection

mern 13:22 09 Oct 05

I have recived conflicting advice on the wisdom of leaving ones connection on at all times. One school of thought states that it leaves one open to attack even with upto date virus and firewall protection the other says the oposite. Out of an abundance of caution I follow the former route, Am I wrong as it is a nuisance having to continually reconnect.

amonra 13:37 09 Oct 05

Mine has been on continually for yonks, no problems (so far). If you are going to be "hit" then your odds are 50/50, leave it on and worry about it later . . .AGGHHHH

Audeal 13:37 09 Oct 05

My opinion is that nothing is fullproof so when I am not using my internet I close it down.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:40 09 Oct 05

I close it down when not using it, saves bandwith for other users, hopefully they are doing the same for me.

Stuartli 14:13 09 Oct 05

>>saves bandwidth for other users>>

I leave my BB connected for around 15 hours until last thing at night.

If I'm not actually using the broadband connection no bandwidth is being taken up - or at least that's what I assume, rightly or wrongly.

Fingees 14:37 09 Oct 05

I tend to close it down,when I know I am not going to use it for a while.

It saves the electicity bill.

I Always close down when going out. Computers have been known to catch fire.

Apart from that, it does no harm to leave them on, as surges when switching on may of course shorten the computer life.

spuds 14:45 09 Oct 05

My insurance company likes all electrical appliances disconnected when not in regular usage.In any case, I usually find that if I leave my computer system running, the Tiscali broadband disconnects itself. I blame BT for that.

Kenneth-266656 15:13 09 Oct 05

I disconnect when I am not using the net - even if it's only for an hour or two. After all it's only a couple of clicks to disconnect and reconnect. I also go on standby if I'm not using the computer for a while.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…