disconnected on user switch

Bluescreen 07:18 16 May 03

Hi. This should be a quick one!

How can I stop my modem from disconnecting every time I switch users with XP?Ive tried everything to no avail.

Please help.

Bluescreen 07:37 16 May 03

Come on everyone! this should be simple for all you xp lovers

Tog 11:45 16 May 03

bump, back to the top...

Bluescreen 00:16 17 May 03

Is this an answer?

beeuuem 01:40 17 May 03

There is answer to this but the only info
I can find is click here

Bluescreen 09:58 17 May 03

Am I the only one having this problem? or is it that I'm being picky and should just live with it.Or maybe knowone knows the answer!!

jazzypop 11:19 17 May 03

As far as I am aware, you can't.

When you switch users, you 'suspend' the programs that User 1 has open, and then log in and open programs as requested by User 2.

If you did not drop the line when switching, it would not be possible for User 2 to dial up a different ISP, or even the same one, and log in with their specific account details.

Consequently, User2 would not be able to identify themselves as a different user to the ISP's email server and collect email from their own account.

This could have significant security implications if the PC was used in a work setting, and possibly even in a domestic situation.

Therefore, WinXP drops a dialup connection when you switch users, and you have to redial if User2 wants web / email access.

There is also the issue that User2 may not have been given permission, when their account was setup, to access the web (think pay-as-you-go phone bills, or keeping children safe from unsupervised browsing, etc).

You may not agree that it suits your needs, but as far as I am aware, that is the design decision that MS took. I am not aware of a reliable way round this - sorry.

jazzypop 11:23 17 May 03

LOL - live and learn!

Here's how MS tell you to workaround their restrictions - simple really :)

click here

Bluescreen 20:43 17 May 03

Thanks for your help.
Nannied my Bill!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…