disconnect ethernet, reinstall internet

alisam 17:46 11 Jun 08

hi folks, i have just bought a 2hand D400 l/top and wish to connect to my alcatel b/band modem. Via tools/options props it appears to be locked to a 'PPPoE ethernet' con instead of a 'windows internet'con as on my existing machine. There is a 'settings' button but with no alternatives. The D400 does not have a cd drive and inputs have to be manual. Please help, thanks alisam

Technotiger 18:13 11 Jun 08

I think you need a USB Network adapter - for which that laptop does have the capability.

click here

alisam 18:17 11 Jun 08

I do not understand your reply. how would that enable me to connect to the alcatel flatfish modem

woodchip 18:21 11 Jun 08

are you trying to connect by Ethernet or wireless?

Technotiger 18:22 11 Jun 08

I assumed from your question that you wanted to connect wirelessly to an already running PC which had Internet access.

Had you said that you wanted to connect a modem to the laptop, I would not have given the advice which I did.

As I am not familiar with that particular laptop, I am afraid I cannot offer any further advice. No doubt someone else will come on to help you. Good luck.

Technotiger 18:23 11 Jun 08

Hmmm, looks as if woodchip is making the same mistake that I did!

alisam 18:27 11 Jun 08

thank you, i am wanting to connect to dsl wired broadband, from usb out on the l/top by cable to an Alcatel 'flatfish' modem.it is the internal settings that i need to modify and i am asking how.thank you

alisam 18:30 11 Jun 08

sorry i forgot to mention that i am using XP system. the make of ltop is irelevent

woodchip 18:33 11 Jun 08

After some checking I now know what you are trying to do. Plus the Modem I call it a "alcatel frog USB modem". Have you downloaded the latest drivers for the Modem? you will have to install them from a Memory stick or SD using a Card Reader

alisam 18:36 11 Jun 08

the modem/connection is fine. i am using it now. please red mt initial question

woodchip 18:40 11 Jun 08

Some will work with PPPoE ethernet but slower

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5