//some 3rd party need geo

disconnect b/b when not in use

joeltr 16:25 28 Apr 05

Just wondering if its worthwhile switching off my connection after leaving the net, i have ntl cable and i can see the modem lights on my desk, i spend a lot of time using my pc, but not a great deal of time on line, just a thought,

byfordr 17:00 28 Apr 05

I tend to only plug my router in when I need to use, then again I tend to turn the pc off when not in use...

If it isn't on, noone can access it.

R

rawprawn 17:04 28 Apr 05

I just leave mine connected, that way it can check for emails every 10 minutes and let me know if new mail arrives.

Joe R 17:13 28 Apr 05

joeltr,

If you wish to turn it off, it is simply a matter of making a desktop shortcut, for your local area connection, (control panel-network connections) and right click and disable.

bretsky 17:19 28 Apr 05

I have a B/B connection with W/Doo, and if I know that the pc is going to be left unattended for long stretches I disconnect and then a simple click on the speedtouch modem desktop icon and I'm connected again.....simple.

Not sure what the pros & cons are, but I feel a lot happier about this,it's a "big brother" thing! As soon as I reconnect, Panda av does its updates then I fire up mailwasher to check email and away I go.

My friend has NTL cable B/B and because he didn't set it up, he has no idea how to disconnect and reconnect via the cable modem, so subsequently his connection remains constant until he powers down.

bretsky ;0)

jack 19:39 28 Apr 05

In my view Dial Up or BB best off unless you wish to use it. Then no nasties can creep in whilst your attention is elsewhere.

To those who will say 'But if you are properly protected etc.,' Somwone somewhere has to be the unlucky first recieving a new nastie, before a 'cure'can be generated -Dont let it be you!

joeltr 12:04 29 Apr 05

i was thinking of putting the modem plug in its own socket, so i could flick the switch when not is use,joe R i am going to try your suggestion now, thanks all, joel.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…