Discharging stored power

billyliv 09:20 19 Sep 04

Hi, I will be changing some CRT monitor cables next week. How do I ensure that any stored electricity is safely discharged?. Cheers, Bill

€dstowe 09:29 19 Sep 04

If these are anything other than external (mains, signal) cables, do you think you should be doing this at all?

Having to ask here shows that you are inexperienced in this and as the innards of CRT devices can easily carry a lethal charge, you are best leaving this to a professional.

€dstowe 09:37 19 Sep 04

I ought to have added that this charge can be retained for a long period after the device is switched off.

Also, short cicuiting to discharge anything in the monitor is likely to damage to the components.

johnnyrocker 09:39 19 Sep 04

unless discharged to the correct earth point as would generally be advised in the manual.

billyliv 16:01 19 Sep 04

I could do without the lectures, Thank you

€dstowe 16:21 19 Sep 04

You came here asking advice. You were given advice. Whether you take that advice or not is up to you. Would I be callous in hoping you don't?

Another one for the ever increasing list of "never respond to this person".

billyliv 18:24 19 Sep 04

If you knew the answer to my query (and if you had read it properly you would have noted that I am well aware of the dangers of stored power) you would have supplied a decent answer

Valvegrid 18:47 19 Sep 04

The cables that connect to the neck of the tube are safe, as they only have the heater voltage on them, plus fairly low voltages for the guns and grids, when the unit is off these voltages are removed.

The HT connector is a different matter. They do hold a charge for some considerable time. The problem is removing the HT cap, because they are usually captive. When I've changed CRT's at work, I use a screwdriver with an insulated handle and lift the rubber cap and short the connection to the outside of the tube. Incidentally the stored HT will make your eyebrows raise if it nips, is not normally dangerous if you're in good health, I've had a few nips from them, because there is very little current, its all voltage like the famous Whimshust machine.

You'll soon get the hang of it when it nips you a couple of times :-)

johnnyrocker 18:57 19 Sep 04

extra care required if a sony crt as if cap is removed incorrectly the crt can be irreparably damaged

Don't forget the focus voltage, and what if the earth lead has come off of the crt base.

VCR97 19:29 19 Sep 04

Play safe; work with one hand in your pocket and then any "belt" will be only across your hand and not across your chest.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…