Disc is write protected? So ANNOYING

levyo1 07:08 14 Dec 07

Hi I have a sandisc 512mb rsmmc card and when I try to copy a file it says in an error message Disc is write protected? There is no little switch on the card to unlock,and when I try to format the card it comes up with the same message!!

Any Help Please..

golfpro 07:34 14 Dec 07

More info needed, what are you trying to copy, from where, are you using the card adaptor.

levyo1 07:44 14 Dec 07

trying to copy a work file, nothing special off my desktop, and yes I have to use the card adaptor as it would not fit without.

Jak_1 12:55 14 Dec 07

A similar thing is happening to my dvd's, it say's remove write protection when tryng to burn to them.

lotvic 13:10 14 Dec 07

seems to be a problem with the rs (reduced size)card click here
try this:
quote/""From Windows you can check the memory using the Error Checking utility available for any drive connected to the system.
To access, connect your Memory card to the PC with a memory card reader. (Remember to insert the memory card into the reader before connecting the reader to the machine.).
The memory card should appear in Windows Explorer, as a new drive letter, and with the label [Removable Drive] next to it.
Right-click on the drive icon for the memory card, and select [Properties] from the options listed.
When the Properties dialog appears, tab across to the Tools tab, and the first option listed will be Error-Checking.
Click the [Check Now..] button and the memory card will be scanned for errors.""/end quote

or try this:
quote/""Open a DOS Prompt (or Cmd Window) from the Startup menu.
At the prompt, type the Drive letter of your memory card followed by colon and enter:
C:> ChkDsk <drive_letter>:
The Chkdsk utility will then run, and report back its findings.
If there are any problems reported then the memory card should be formatted:
at the command prompt, this can be achieved by typing:
C:> format i: /FS:FAT
(this will re-format the drive i: (my memory card), to the FAT file system).
This should fix any problems with the card.""/end quote

levyo1 07:49 15 Dec 07

Hi Tried that lotvic but it keeps coming back unspecified file?

lotvic 09:34 15 Dec 07

err..? what did you try?
and have you looked at my link yet

levyo1 13:52 15 Dec 07

Yes I have seen your link as I have searched the net about this problem and there seems to be lots of them (problems)I also tried your cmd below but it comes back unspecified file.

or try this:
quote/""Open a DOS Prompt (or Cmd Window) from the Startup menu.
At the prompt, type the Drive letter of your memory card followed by colon and enter:
C:> ChkDsk <drive_letter>:
The Chkdsk utility will then run, and report back its findings.
If there are any problems reported then the memory card should be formatted:
at the command prompt, this can be achieved by typing:
C:> format i: /FS:FAT
(this will re-format the drive i: (my memory card), to the FAT file system).
This should fix any problems with the card.""/end quote

lotvic 02:14 16 Dec 07

What is the drive letter that your pc has given to your sandisc 512mb rsmmc card?

for example your hard disk is C:
and other drives will have a letter, maybe E: or F:

If the sandisc 512mb rsmmc card has been given E: then at the Cmd you would need to type

chkdsk E:

then on your keyboard press return

levyo1 19:01 16 Dec 07

Hi when I type that in it says the, file the path or file name is invalid? By the way the card is the letter I.Thanks for your help in this.

levyo1 19:04 16 Dec 07

Hi again it has just tried to format in CMD it has come back File write protected!!!! So PIXXESS me off

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now