Disc partition space

Verbose 15:44 28 Mar 10

Hi!
My partner has an Acer 3003 laptop running XP with a 40gb hard disc, and 750mb of ram. The laptop is getting very slow and I wonder if it is because the C partiion has only 3gb free space. The hard disc is partitioned C and D and I see that D has all its space free 17.4gb. Is there an easy way of reducing the size of partition D and using it to increase the size of C? Could I just drag and drop some of the software on to D?
Thanks in anticipation.

bremner 15:51 28 Mar 10

Can I drag and drop some of the software? No you would need to unistall from C and reinstall on D.

You could incorporate the D volume into the C using a program like click here

In the meantime have you run the XP Disk Cleanup utility click here

ame 15:53 28 Mar 10

You can use the free version of Paragon partition manager but are you sure the D partition doesn't have the original operating system etc backup on it for disaster recovery? You need to get about 25% free space to speed up the pc.

bremner 15:58 28 Mar 10

In my experience and I have an Acer the D volume is just a data partition it does not contain backup or recovery data but as ame - be sure.

MarvintheAndroid 16:02 28 Mar 10

You can drag your documents and data files across to D, but not installed applications.

Or you could reconfigure the partition sizes, for a FREE partitioning tool click here

However this probably won't help the speed very much. You also need to clean out the system registry (take a backup first), you could try ccleaner click here

Marv

ame 16:02 28 Mar 10

To save hassle you could just decant some of your documents that are old into the D partition. Don't just try and move the whole My Documents folder though!

ame 16:04 28 Mar 10

I repeat - do not cut and paste the My Documents folder into the D partition. It has to be moved so that Windows knows where it is. It ain't difficult to do - just be aware.

ame 16:17 28 Mar 10

A bit off the original track here, but you could also free up space on a small drive like this by compressing the drive if this hasn't already been done. [Go into My Computer and right click on C drive, select Properties and there is a tick box at bottom of window.] Or offloading old documents to DVD's.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:32 28 Mar 10

Change the Default Location of the My Documents Folder
To change the default location of the My Documents folder, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, and then point to My Documents.
2. Right-click My Documents, and then click Properties.
3. Click the Target tab.
4. In the Target box, do one of the following:
* Type the path to the folder location that you want, and then click OK. For example, D:\My Stuff.

If the folder does not exist, the Create Message dialog box is displayed. Click Yes to create the folder, and then click OK.

-or-
* Click Move, click the folder in which to store your documents, and then click OK twice.

If you need to create a new folder, click Make New Folder. Type a name for the folder, and then click OK twice.
5. In the Move Documents box, click Yes to move your documents to the new location, or click No to leave your documents in the original location.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:37 28 Mar 10

Clear out all temporay files and folders -- use Crap Cleaner click here

If the machine is slow but otherwise running ok
Look under the Windows folder and Anything starting With $ in blue can be deleted (these are old restore points after windows updates.

Reduce disk space used by system restore click here

Verbose 17:47 04 Apr 10

Thanks for all the suggestions. I downloaded Easus Partition Manager which did the job a treat.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…