Disc Partition

elc 18:37 07 Nov 05

I have recently bought a new pc running win xp with a 80gb hard drive. approx half of this is filled with music files. i am getting conflicting advice about if i should partition my hard disk so this is kept seperate. i am told if part of my disc goes down it may mean i would only have to re format the infected partitions but apart from this are there any other benefits. Do the amount of files conflict with my pc's speed? any advice or recommendations would be appreciated!?

Diodorus Siculus 18:45 07 Nov 05

Some people are quick to rubbish the benefits of partitioning. I see one great advantage to it: keeping the OS seperate from the data - that way if the OS gets corrupted and you are unable to boot, the data is generally safe.

A second hard disk is a distinct advantage and pretty easy to fit.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:12 07 Nov 05

You will have difficulty partioning the drives without losing the data (need partion magic), so best to leave it now.

I have 1 HDD partioned into 2 for opsystem and data seperately. A second HDD contains a compressed back up of both the partions on the first drive. Plus important dat is also backed up to CD /DVD

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:45 07 Nov 05

Use an external HD and this way you will have no problems whatsoever. There is no earthly need to partition in the 21st century and keeping lots of 'important' files, without a copy on a removable disk, is criminally insane.

G

wobblymike 22:05 07 Nov 05

I partly disagree with GANDALF <|:-)> above, I do agree important data should be backed up separately but disagree about partitioning. In my view not only does it make your PC layout neat and easy to navigate but it also keeps your OS separate for your data so in the event of OS corruption you can reinstall without affecting your data, as Diodorus Siculus has said above.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…