Disc not recognised

carper 14:08 21 Feb 07

I am trying to copy a file and have a DVD/CD reader/ writer designated D and a DVDreader/CD reader writer designated E. When I try to copy to either drive I get the message "Insert disc" but when I do this it still says no disc in drive. I have enabled disc write in both drives. Any help greatly appreciated
Regards Carper

moorie- 14:10 21 Feb 07

what software are you using?

carper 14:54 21 Feb 07

XP Home SP2. AS far as I know I am not using a specific burning programme and I have not had problems before. Carper

skidzy 15:03 21 Feb 07

Is the drive recognised in My Computer.
Do any dvd/cd's play ok.
Is this just a write error.
Have you tried changing the media.

moorie- 15:11 21 Feb 07

other questions
what type of media?
data files,are the files read only?

skidzy 15:20 21 Feb 07

If not recognised in My Computer

Missing cd/dvd drives can be normally associated with the removal of burning software such as Nero/Roxio/Sonic/Easy CD Creator etc.
And not showing the drive in My Computer.

Try the below link ,if still no luck follow the Procedure of removing the upper and lower filters.

click here

If no joy with the above fix,try the Microsoft Guided Help

click here scroll down to the Guided help download and follow the instructions.

If still no joy,follow the manual fix below.

If you have further any error codes,please post them.

Restore Missing CD/Dvd Drives

Missing cd/dvd drive
If it is showing an error code:
Code 19, Code 31, Code 32, Code 39, or Code 41
, delete the drive.

Then follow these directions for clearing the Upper/Lower Filters: (might want to print this out)

1. Click on Start --> Run --> and type in 'regedit' followed by the enter key
2. Expand the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" key (looks like a folder) by double clicking it (or
3. clicking the "+" next to it.)
4. Expand the "SYSTEM" Key
5. Expand the "CurrentControlSet" Key
6. Expand the "Control" Key
7. Expand the "Class" Key
8. Please look for a key containing the following string of letter and numbers:
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
9. High light this key by left clicking once on it
10. On the right hand side you are looking for "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" under the "Name" column, once you find these please delete them by right clicking on them and choosing "delete"
11. Please exit the registry by clicking on the "X" in the top right hand corner of the screen

Reboot your computer

If in any doubt editing the registry,please create a System Restore point first and also backup your registry....The guidedhelp from Microsoft on backing up the registry is a good lesson for anyone to learn.click here

Creating a System Restore point:

Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore…follow the prompts.

carper 15:30 21 Feb 07

The drives are recognised in "My Computer" and play DVDs no problem, and it looks like the default player is Windows media player. I can't say whether it is a write fault only as it will not continue after saying that there is no disc in the drive.Exactly the same occurrs in both drives.The DVD writer drive is newer than the original DVD read only, and the new drive became the master after I had installed the new drive
I don't think that there is an installation fault as they have worked well enough in the past.
Regards Carper

moorie- 15:34 21 Feb 07

if copying file to dvd?
xps burner only writes to cd as far as i know
try using this
click here

carper 15:36 21 Feb 07

Your other comments came whilst I was making my last post. I carried out the registry exercise some time ago when the drives were not recognised. This time it seems as though it cannot recognise that there is a disc in the drive although DVDs and music CDs play very well and are recognised automatically.
Must go off line now but will reply to any further comments tomorrow. Please keep them coming. Regards Carper

muddypaws 16:26 21 Feb 07

I get the same problem when trying to burn CDs on my LG burner using Windows. Burns Cds and DVDs using any other programme. So will have a read through the suggestions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…