disc not being recognised

garybaldy 07:51 18 Mar 03

i cant play any discs in my disc drive .it keeps saying Please insert disc into drive d please advise i use WIN XP.

powerless 07:58 18 Mar 03

Clean the disc.

Also if you can get a lense cleaner - stick that in the drive.

Remove the drive from the system and let XP pick it up again.

Start > Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager > Find your CD drive > Right click > Uninstall > Click "Ok"... Restart and XP will detect it.

Try a disc in the drive and see it it plays.

powerless 08:00 18 Mar 03

What type of discs are they? Music - DVD and what are you trying to play them with.

garybaldy 08:07 18 Mar 03

there CD/R with information on them.it wont play DVD either.when i insert a dvd i normally go to my computer then dvd drive and play which normally works

powerless 08:13 18 Mar 03

Oh,

I don't think it will run like that. ON a CD there is an Autorun file, i think this file will not be on the CD so it will not run by clicking play.

I think what you need to do is Right click and choose explore.

It is also possible that simply the CD cannot be read by your CD drive. The message you are recieving seems to indicate this.

garybaldy 08:20 18 Mar 03

ive just tried re inserting a dvd into the drive ,i know it works because ive played it before the a window opens asking if i want to open writable folder ,copy disc or create a disc useing nero.any ideas

User-312386 08:25 18 Mar 03

sounds like your cd drive is going kapoot to me

are you saying that any disc you insert does not work?

Try a programme disc and not one of your own

madboy33

powerless 08:26 18 Mar 03

The original disc that you are trying to play, is this a CD-R or a DVD-R?

Also the disc that you just tried is this the same brand etc of the original disc?

If it is then the disc maybe be damaged. XP cannot read a disc so this is possible. Also stick it in your CD Rom drive. (if you have a combo, then its the same drive)

garybaldy 08:34 18 Mar 03

i use a laptop which i can play dvd with and i have a seperate plextor burning drive which i copy with.the information disc is a cd/r the other disc is just a standard dvd.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…