Disc Location

MichaelF 13:24 01 Jan 05

I have a 400 gb hard disc which is split into 2 partitions.
Following a recent crash on the system which forced a rebuild I can't seem to access one of the partitions.
When I went looking for it it shows up inder location 0 whereas all other drives have a number attached.
Is this likely to be the problem and how do i solve it.
I am running Windows XP home with Service pack 2.

Thanks

mattyc_92 14:08 01 Jan 05

I am guessing that your drives are IDE??? in this case (and sould be the same for SATA drives)the answer is NO this wouldn't cause a problem, this means that it is the "master", the drives with a number on it means that it is a "slave".... e.g. your hard-disk is 0 and cd drive is 1, this means that your hard disk is master and your cd drive is a slave, and would be master if your hard-disk is removed or moved to another located....

MichaelF 16:22 01 Jan 05

Thanks for the response.
The drives are serial ATA
When I look at device manager under disk drives the number of the drive appears twice, I presume this relates to the 2 partitions. If I then look at the properties it states location 0 but the bottom section of the page – device usage is greyed out.
When I look at the corresponding page for the second drive is states location 1 and device usage is enabled.
Do I need to enable location 0 somehow?

mattyc_92 18:31 01 Jan 05

No... If it is "greyed out" it usually means that it is "unallicated"....

what you you actually want this other drive to be???? the local drive (with programs and operating system installed) or an extra "storage" drive????

MichaelF 18:39 01 Jan 05

I would like it to be an extra storage drive so I could create a copy of my normal hard disk there to use if another disaster happens and i loose everything again.

mattyc_92 21:11 01 Jan 05

If the partition already exists, then this option if for you.... But if you decide to make a partition from your windows drive, then you will have to use a program like "Partition Magic" to resize the drive and create the partition.... NOTE: using this program means that you don't need to use the windows partitioning tool!!!!

You would have to use a program like "Acronis True Image" or "Norton Ghost" to backup your whole hard-disk... either works fine....

If you just want it for this, then do the following.....

Control Pannel->Performance and Maintenance->Computer Management

Now that you have the "approperate" tool open, click onto the "Disk Management" option located in the left pannel that has a "tree diagram" style thingy!!!!

Now click onto the partition that you want to use and right-click onto it and choose "format"... If the partition is "grey" that means that it isn't "allicated", so right-click it and choose "create partition" option (it is called something like that, I can't make sure cause I'm logged on as an "Limated User")

mattyc_92 21:22 01 Jan 05

soz my previous post is abit confusing.... the backup programs are needed to do what they are basically designed to do i.e. backing up your system..... BUT the proceedure that I have posted is to "get the partition ready to be used"

Soz about ANY confusion!!!

Happy New Year

MichaelF 23:37 01 Jan 05

Thanks for that. I will try it out.

MichaelF 17:02 03 Jan 05

I have found the screen you describe but it does not get me very far. The screen shows two partitions.
Disc 0, which has a volume name and is described as system.
Disc 1, which has no volume name but is described as active.The only option which is not greyed out on "right click" is delete partition!
Before I rebuilt the system using the restore disc that came with the machine which is supposed to restore it to the factory settings I believe that there where two hard disc showing on windows explorer. Now there is only one showing as drive c.
Drive d used to be the second partition. Now it is the dvd player.
Hope this makes sense. I want to see the second partition as a hard drive nad copy my back up files there.

mattyc_92 17:48 03 Jan 05

Is there anything on the drive at the moment (the one you are going to set as the "backup" drive)???

MichaelF 18:11 03 Jan 05

Not that I know off. I can't access it to see.
However it does show that some of the space is used. Everything that I have put on the machine seems to be on drive c.
Before the system crashed totally I had stored some videos on disc d but i would have thought they would have gone when I restored the system.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…