Disc image from 32 to 64 bit system.

Rayspan 20:22 23 Mar 10

If I generate a disc image with my 32 bit O.S. then replace the 32bit with the 64 bit version can I then load up from that disc image to restore all my stuff?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:51 23 Mar 10

You can restore all docs pics music etc. but programs that need to have registry entries will need to be reinstalled from original disk / install software.

DieSse 21:25 23 Mar 10

If you restore a disk image, then all the original disk contents will be overwritten by the image contents. That's what it's designed to do.

As FB suggests, if your image allows you to extract your data, then those files can be restored, as they are not uniquely 32 or 16 bit.

However everything else will need to be re-installed from scratch.

Read the first paragraph here click here

DieSse 21:25 23 Mar 10

32 0r 64 bit, of course (living in the past at times ;-))

Rayspan 22:56 23 Mar 10

Thanks for that folks. Currently running ultimate 32, & backing up data to an external disc, so data transfer at least will be straightforward. This version of W7 makes backup & restore so easy. One option offered is disc imaging - IF your disc is big enough. Do quite a bit of CAD so want to try 64. Being lazy (aren't you?) I'd hoped to transfer the whole smash in one go. Ah well!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…