Disc drive not working!

Georgie68 12:07 12 May 09

Please help!
Yesterday I was using my disc drive fine - today it's no longer working! Nothing has been altered, removed or changed in any way.
This is my drive - HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GWA-4164B

This is the message I get -
"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The drive may be corrupted or missing (code 39)"

What can I do?!
I'm running win xp sp3

User-1229748 12:42 12 May 09

if you go into device manager are there any yellow exclamation marks ?

Georgie68 12:47 12 May 09

Yes, then when I click 'properties', that's what gives me the message printed in my post.

brundle 12:49 12 May 09
  Georgie68 13:09 12 May 09

Brundle, that worked a treat!
Can't imagine what went wrong in the first place, but many thanks to you :-)

birdface 14:52 12 May 09

Will not work for me.XP SP3 any ideas.

brundle 17:02 12 May 09

"Will not work for me.XP SP3 any ideas." - you mean fixing DVD issues? Or the link? It's only the same fix as this one; click here

birdface 18:20 12 May 09

Hi brundle.I think my d Drive is past the state of fixing but i thought that I would try and run the fix it tool.
After it ran I got this message. Fix it does not apply to Operating system or application Version. Using XP SP3.
Like I said I think the drive has had it.its been like that for a few years.I have tried most things except replacing it.I am just wondering why the tool would not work.

philterrer 15:21 17 Dec 09

Following all the steps above the MS fixit told me that my drive was unable to burn CD although I have used it with NERO and other graphic progs to burn both audio and data which I can still do BUT when I try to create a recovery disc with the instructions in the latest official MS magazine that prog still does not recognise the drive. I ask he question is it that the MS engineers do not understand cd burning?

Technotiger 15:47 17 Dec 09

CD/DVD drive problems can often be resolved by simply running the respective CD or DVD Cleaning Disks - a clean lens can make all the difference.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…