disc distress

monkon2 00:24 11 Dec 03

i have recntly started getting ito games on my pc, while my specs are adequate i am having a few probs. namely, after installing a game that requires the disc to be present to run, i am presented with the message 'please insert correct disc and restart application' . despite however inserting correct disc i am still getting the same message every time. this has happened with several different discs now, over a 2 month period. the files install ok but i cannot run the game. my cd drive also becomes very hot in the process. can any one help? i am running a fully updated issue of xp pro on my pc if that might have any bearing and the games are all less than a year old.

im desperate!!!!!!!!!!
thanks in advance

hugh-265156 00:49 11 Dec 03

did the games work before?have you got restore points going back as far as two months you can restore to when all was well?

do you have direct x9? most new games need this to run correctly.

if you do have it,also check your graphics card drivers are direct x9 compliant up to date as well.

also check in: start/control panel/performance and maintenance/administrative tools/event viewer

look under the system and application tabs for any errors that may help pin point the problem.

also try cleaning the disc/s and cd drive lens with a little isopropanol(get it from chemists)

hugh-265156 00:53 11 Dec 03

also ment to say.sometimes if your cd drive plays up,clicking start/control panel/system/hardware/device manager and right click the cd drive and select uninstall,restart the cpomputer and windows will find it and reinstall the drivers again.

sometimes works.

monkon2 18:59 11 Dec 03

thjanks all, prob sorted soon after i wote this!!!!!!! thanks for advice anyway!!!

hugh-265156 19:07 11 Dec 03

how was it solved if you dont mind me asking?

may help others.

monkon2 20:03 11 Dec 03

i discovered cd drive was acting up, it was past its prime, so i replaced it witha new one, seemed to cure the problem. no fancy techniques here!!! just a duff drive it seemed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…