Disc Defrag

Troutpool 14:23 25 Oct 03

My disc defrag does not seem to be working.
I set it up from system tools it appears to run but it does not do anything.I have let it run for an hour with no result,

AndyJ 14:26 25 Oct 03

I think many people have had this prob at some time or another. Defrag can take an extraordinary amount of time depending on your machine and amount of fragmentation.

Try it after starting your machine in "Safe Mode" - may speed things up for you.

MichelleC 14:26 25 Oct 03

What os?

Cosmic Guerilla 15:21 25 Oct 03

I think you might want to turn off your anti-virus whilst running defrag. We have some Win 98 pc's in work and if I remember correctly the system used to hang eventually if we ran defrag without turning off the anti virus.

If you are running XP you may need to turn off the system restore facility before you run defrag. I am not certain about this but maybe some other forum user could confirm this.

blanco 18:41 25 Oct 03

With XP Home I find the defrag is very tolerant. I used it yesterday without shutting down anything and it worked perfectly.

VoG II 18:46 25 Oct 03

Do NOT turn off System Restore - this would cause all of your restore points to be lost.

Do as AndyJ suggests - defrag in Safe Mode. To do this reboot and keep tapping the F8 key just before the Windows screen appears. Then select Safe Mode from the menu that appears.

By running in Safe Mode you are preventing "unnecessary" processes from running that can interrupt defrag.

An alternative (and much better) defragger is Diskeeper click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…