disc defrag

pat2068 00:22 03 Sep 03

when i defrag my hd it tell me ther are files that can,t be defrag but it is,ent telling me which one when i look in the view report can anyone tell me how i can find out what is still defgagmentedthanks mary

pat2068 00:36 03 Sep 03

bump

pat2068 00:49 03 Sep 03

bump

Gandalph 00:59 03 Sep 03

The defragmenter doesn't defragment files as such, it defragments your Hard Disc Drive. That is to say, after you have removed the likes of Temporary Internet Files, Cookies and History it compacts the Data remaining on your Hard Drive closer together so that the programmes load faster when you require them. I am a little confused when you say that the Degragmenter programme is not Defragmenting certain files. Can you explain further please.

Gandalph 01:03 03 Sep 03

Further to my posting above. Du you mean that when you try and delete Temporary inter Files etc,. that you are getting a message saying that the delete programme could not delete Index.dat files.

pat2068 01:05 03 Sep 03

this is the exact errordefrag is complete some files on this volume could not be defragmented please check defrag report for a list of these files but there is no flies there thanks mary

pat2068 01:07 03 Sep 03

when i defrag my hdd manualy the above is the message i get thanks mary

Gandalph 01:10 03 Sep 03

Which version of Windows or which OS are you running.

pat2068 01:12 03 Sep 03

win xp home i am using thanks mary

Gandalph 01:22 03 Sep 03

Sorry, I can't help you any further on this problem. I am using Win 98se and I am not knowledgeable enough on Windows XP. Hang on in there I'm sure someone will be along shortly to pick up this thread and help get your problem solved. I personally have never come across this problem in Win98, but I will be very interested to know what the solution is. Cheers. :-)

Gandalph 01:28 03 Sep 03

As a footnote yto the above. Try running Scandisc and then Defrag you HDD again. You may have some damaged clusters.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…