Disc Cleanup On Vista Ultimate

FatboySlim71 09:56 26 Mar 08

When I had Windows XP, there was an option on the disc cleanup where amongst other things it would delete all but your most recent restore point, but I cannot find any such option on the disc cleanup on Vista Ultimate, I just wondered if it is possible to cleanup all but your most recent restore point.

hssutton 10:23 26 Mar 08

I've not found a way of doing this, but this is what I read about restore points.

"Restore" points are saved until the hard disk space System Restore reserves is filled up. As new restore points are created, old ones are deleted. If you turn off System Protection (the feature that creates restore points) on a disk, all restore points are deleted from that disk. When you turn System Protection back on, new restore points are created.

ventanas 10:42 26 Mar 08

t may be a surprise to learn that System Restore in Vista retains all restore points for more than 136 years (yes years) if there is sufficient disc space. A bit of an increase from the 90 days XP held on to them.

If you want to change this to something more sensible:

Open regedit and go to
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersionSystemRestore\Cfg Double-click the DiskPercent.
The default is f (in hexadecimal) which is 15 in decimal. For making it say 10% type 'a'

Now again, how frequently you'd like to have your SystemRestore points auto-created can also be configured as follows :
Open regedit and go to
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion
\SystemRestore

You can change the value RPGlobalInterval from its default setting of 86,400 seconds (24 hours) to, say, 43200 (a8c0) if you want it created every 12 hrs.

As and how your new restore points get created, the older ones get deleted due to the availble space contstraint.

Otherwise by default, in Vista, System Restore is set to delete restore points after roughly 4,294,967,295 seconds or 136 years, which was a mere 90 days in XP ! The idea apparently, is to delete them only when absolutely necessary due to space constraint!!! But err...136 years !!!

But unless you want your grand-children to see your restore points you can change this interval too. Change the value of RPLifeInterval in the same key; a setting of 7,776,000 seconds (or 76a700 in hexadecimal) is equivalent to 90 days.

FatboySlim71 12:03 26 Mar 08

136 years lol, thanks for the help guys, I think I'll just switch off system restore when I think that I have too many restore points and this will then in turn delete all the restore points, I'll then switch it back on and create a restore point.

FatboySlim71 18:02 26 Mar 08

bump

FatboySlim71 22:15 26 Mar 08

bump

FatboySlim71 08:19 27 Mar 08

Does anyone know if it is possible?

harps1h 08:26 27 Mar 08

to turn off the restore points in vista you need to switch off the volume shadow copy service. this then in turn turns off the restore points. unfortunately the two are intretwined and you cannot switch off without switching off the other.

for the rest click here

FatboySlim71 09:29 27 Mar 08

Thanks very much for the link harps1h, I found the option to delete all bu the most recent restore point. I done this thanks to harps1h link by running disk cleanup, FILES FROM ALL USERS ON THIS COMPUTER, after doing this the disc cleanup window appears, you will see a MORE OPTIONS TAB, if you click on this and choose the bottom option SYSTEM RESTORE AND SHADOW COPIES, this will then delete all but the most recent restore point. Thanks again harps1h, I really appreciate it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…