disc cleanup still not cleaning up.help please?

hugh-265156 15:57 11 Feb 03

many thanks to all that replied to my previous post on this subject.i still have not found a solution.its minor i know but driving me mad!!when i run disc cleanup it says i have 194,928k compress old files.i click ok and it goes through the motions ok.however if i check again it still says i have 194,928k to cleanup??ive tried everything,run defrag,chkdisk.cleanup in safe mode etc.no joy!if you have read my previous post i thought it was related to windows update.i have since sorted that one out.thank you.

JoeC 16:11 11 Feb 03

going Start > Run, then typing in ( or copy and paste this )

sfc /scannow

Note space between sfc and /.
Failing that, why not try a repair of XP as follows:-

Repair XP:
Configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM drive.
Insert WinXP CD, restart computer.
When the Press any key to boot from CD message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.
Press ENTER when you see the message To setup Windows XP now, and then press ENTER displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen. Do not choose the option to press R to use the Recovery Console at this time.
In the Windows XP Licensing Agreement, press F8 to agree to the license agreement. Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.
Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup

hugh-265156 16:25 11 Feb 03

xp came pre installed.just got a recovery disk.what does the run cmd do?sorry if seem stupid.still learning.thanks.

JoeC 16:28 11 Feb 03

Start > Run and typing in sfc /scannow, it checks all of your protected system files and if any are corrup / damaged it will repair them for you. : }

hugh-265156 16:39 11 Feb 03

ok i have run sfc /scannow.it run ok.did not get any info though.

JoeC 16:43 11 Feb 03

it just runs and you see a progress bar. Once it is finished, it just disappears. If you have run it and you saw the progress bar, then it will have repaired any corrupt / damaged files - if there were any. : }

hugh-265156 16:45 11 Feb 03

thanks.i tried disc cleanup again.194,372 now still left in compress old files.have run twice.still no joy.

hugh-265156 18:46 11 Feb 03

thanks all for the help.i have got it sorted though.click here;en-us;812248 hope this thread helps anyone with the same problem.

hugh-265156 19:00 11 Feb 03

oops!sorry cant cut n paste the page for some reason.see the above link,search disk cleanup.should get a link saying disk cleanup stops responding.thats the fix.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…