Disc Clean Up, which files safe to remove?

harris99 17:56 12 Mar 09

Looking at Disc Clean Up, I have 36,206KB of Temp Files, 1022KB of Setup log files and some Offline Web files and Web Client/Publisher Temp Files. Is it safe, or even necessary, to delete these?

Stuartli 18:05 12 Mar 09

Back them up then, if you do have any problems, they can be restored.

But there shouldn't be any comebacks.

Stuartli 18:06 12 Mar 09

You can delete the backup after a short period if you have no problems.

harris99 18:44 12 Mar 09

Sorry, but I don't know how to backup those files. Would setting a restore point and using System Restore do instead? Otherwise I am tempted to leave well alone

Bapou 19:37 12 Mar 09

You are correct, just create a new System Restore Point.

However, I would recommend using CCleaner, click here instead of Windows Disk Cleanup.

Set a new Restore point if you wish although CCleaner has never let me down without a new Restore Point being necessary.

In CCleaner click on ' 'Cleaner' then 'Anaylize'. When this completes all temp files you refer to are found, now click on 'Run Cleaner' - you will be informed the files are not recoverable - click ok.

march 09:40 13 Mar 09

Wingstone

just posted this to panda11's question about cleanups hope it helps you

I use ccleaner after forum members recommended it,they also gave me the links below which explain how to set ccleaner up; very good links easy to understand & follow, hope they help you,

I was nervous about it but it really does what it says

click here

click here

click here

click here

DieSse 11:06 13 Mar 09

It's both safe and necessary - in particular such a large number of Temp files will slow down the system and may cause problems.

Spark6 11:44 13 Mar 09

Your links are inoperable, could you please re-post them.

harris99 14:45 13 Mar 09

Many thanks everyone for helpful and informative contributions. I hope March can re-post his links. Meanwhile have used Disc Clean Up, though smaller files were not removed. Took 45 minutes to finish.

march 15:51 13 Mar 09

oops! sorry about that will try again

click here

click here

click here

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac