Disc Check message on starting PC

opta55 09:31 14 Jul 06

I am getting a Windows XP message of 'please check your disc for consistency' when I boot up the PC despite already having run CHKDSK f/ a number of times from Run. I can press any key within 10 seconds & bypass the message but I want to get rid of it.

If I let the 10 seconds go & the percentage never gets pat 0% and my IIyama Prolite E431S monitor loses the blue power light after a couple of minutes, changes to yellow & i get the message 'Signal frequency out of range H:79.8Hz V6553.5 Hz Please change signal timing'. I then cannot get the monitor back & have to switch off the PC. This has been happening for a few weeks but only if I need to restart the PC

VoG II 09:38 14 Jul 06
  opta55 09:46 14 Jul 06

I have already run CHKDSK F/ a number of times but the message still appears on boot up.

Any ideas on the subsequent monitor problem?

brundle 09:49 14 Jul 06

check your hard drive for damage with a manufacturer's diagnostic. use the software to make a bootable floppy using another machine in necessary

check in your bios for description of the drive
click here

opta55 10:01 14 Jul 06

Any thoughts on the monitor problem

brundle 10:07 14 Jul 06

corruption on your hd, failing psu two possibilities. tackle one problem at a time

Eric10 10:40 14 Jul 06

This has worked before. First click Start, Run, and bring up a command prompt by typing in CMD and then type "fsutil dirty query c:" but without the quotes. This queries the drive, and more than likely it will tell you that it is dirty. Next, type "CHKNTFS /X C:". The X tells Windows to NOT check that particular drive on the next reboot. At this time, manually reboot your computer, it should not do a Chkdsk and take you directly to Windows.

Once Windows has fully loaded, bring up another CMD prompt and now you want to do a Chkdsk manually by typing "Chkdsk /f /r c:". This should take you through 5 stages of the scan and will unset that dirty bit. Finally, type "fsutil dirty query c:" and Windows will confirm that the dirty bit is not set on that drive. Good luck!

opta55 22:20 14 Jul 06

When I type in Chkdsk /f /r c: I get the following message :

The type of system is FAT32, Cannot lock current drive.
CHKDSK cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like the schedule the volume to be checked the next time the system restarts Y/N.

Any thoughts on what I should do here?

terryf 22:25 14 Jul 06

I can only say that when I got into this situation I had to use my backup acronis image to restore.

Eric10 15:52 16 Jul 06

When it asks if you would like to schedule the disk check answer "Y" and then restart the computer. Chkdsk will run through about 5 stages before Windows loads. This process takes quite a long time so do it when you aren't busy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…