Disc activity after Stand By

Kenneth-266656 19:29 30 Sep 05

Running XP Home on a Pentium 4. On most occasions when the computer is brought out of stand by there is a fair amount of hard drive activity - this I can understand and it only last for a minute or so. However there are times when on coming out of stand by the hard drive light comes on but as a fixed full on light with no evidence of the normal flickering indicating activity. Applications appear not to be affected and work normally but I am concerned over what may be happening. I find that the only way to get things back to normal is to do a restart. On the shutdown cycle of the restart the light stays on in this manner until the monitor status info. appears on the screen, after which of course the restart cycle starts.
Has anyone else experienced this - has anyone ideas why this should happen at random times.

woodchip 19:33 30 Sep 05

If full on it reading a big file, more than likely checking the Hibernate file, one big file. when the light flicks it is reading files info from different locations on the drive

Kenneth-266656 19:38 30 Sep 05

As far as I know I've not set up for hibernation. Does stand by use the same file? What is the effect of a restart while it's writing to that file?

woodchip 19:40 30 Sep 05

I think it work on same principal

Kenneth-266656 19:42 30 Sep 05

Ok fine - many thanks for your input

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…