Disaster trying to install DG834T Router on Pipex.

Well I said I'd post in and let you know how I got on - not very well!!
I managed to physically connect the router etc to the PC and connected to the Netgear settings page,& got solid green lights and a connection, but no matter how carefully I entered the settings for Pipex I couldn't connect to the Internet.There seem to be some discrepancies in the settings,With me being unable to find Framing and Mode to set. Also Pipex sent me Protocol PPPoA and didn't say if it was "over ethernet" or over "ATM"
I have done a system restore and put my old speedtouch modem back on so that I could post in for some help. Also should the connection show in the IE. Tools>internet options> connections tab?(as it doesn't just the speedtouch one)
I am also confused about how I have to subsequently connect to the net, should I get it running- do I have to go to the address given of The Netgear settings page each time in order to connect?(I can't believe I have to ?)Finally, in Control Panel, under LAN or High Speed Internet I have two options:-
1394 Connection Which says connected Net Adapter 2 and Local area Connection, which is NVidia n Force MCP Networking Connection. I presume that i sthe one I try to configure and it is caklled that because that is the make of the card with the Ethernet connection? Is that right?

De Marcus™ 12:28 06 Oct 05

Try these steps

click here

I have worked through these but I cannot access a MAC address so can't do that. I'm going to have a cup of tea and try again- implication is that the prob is with Pipex not the router. Thanks for the help, I'll let you know how I do !

This is most strange- the power of a cup of tea- I came back, disconnected the speedtouchmodem. Checked the computer settings, turned off the computer,connected the router again, restarted it ready to log in to the settings page, and it went staright to my home page and was running!!
One question though, my speedtouch modem ran at 2.2mbps this one shows 100mbps, so have I lost out? (currently doesn't look much different!)

mgmcc 13:09 06 Oct 05

<<<Also Pipex sent me Protocol PPPoA and didn't say if it was "over ethernet" or over "ATM">>>

PPPoA stands for PPP over ATM (Asynchronous Transfer Mode) which is the protocol used for ADSL in the UK.

<<<Also should the connection show in the IE. Tools>internet options> connections tab?(as it doesn't just the speedtouch one)>>>

No. When you install a router, it is the router which connects directly to the ISP. Any computers connected to the router get their internet access over the LAN (local Area Network) from the router - they no longer establish the connection directly.

<<<1394 Connection Which says connected>>>

This is a Firewire connection which always shows as "connected" - ignore that entry.

<<<Local area Connection>>>

This is the adapter with which you would connect by ethernet cable to the router. It should get an IP address from the router in the 192.168.x.x range.

<<<I am also confused about how I have to subsequently connect to the net, should I get it running- do I have to go to the address given of The Netgear settings page each time in order to connect?(I can't believe I have to ?)>>>

Once the router has been correctly set up, when powered on it should automatically establish the internet connection with the ISP.

<<<I have worked through these but I cannot access a MAC address so can't do that.>>>

To find the MAC address for the PC's Network Adapter, open a Command Prompt Window ("Start > Run", type CMD and click OK). At the prompt, type:

ipconfig /all

and press Enter. Details of all adapters in the PC will be displayed. For your Network Adapter, look for the "Physical" address, 12 hexadecimal characters ("0" to "9" and "a" to "f") in six groups of two. That is the MAC address.

Thanks mgmcc- I am now up and running- could you fix my security problem for me? I have started a new post for it, I don't have a clue what it all means and what I have to do!

mgmcc 13:13 06 Oct 05

<<< my speedtouch modem ran at 2.2mbps this one shows 100mbps>>>

100Mbps is the speed of your network connection between the PC's network adapter and the router - it is NOT related to the speed at which the router connects to the internet.

Thanks- I now have some more "silly " questions! (please be patient!)
Once I get my laptop does this PC have to be on to get an internet connection on the laptop?(I am guessing as the router/modem is powered the answer is no?)
Secondly, if I want to leave the PC on after I have connected to the internet, but switch the Internet off do I choose the disable choice in Local Area Connections?(I have put a shortcut on to my desktop for this purpose)If I then disbale on the PC upstairs, does that mean no connection on the laptop downstairs? As you can see I don't quite have my head around wifi yet!
Thanks!

De Marcus™ 13:31 06 Oct 05

No the main pc doesn't have to be on for the laptop to gain net access. What you will have to do though is use the main pc to configure your router to allow access for the laptop.

As for 'switching the net off' you could disable the adaptor in network connections but most people don't bother, just let the connection stay alive provided your not paying by the minute. And the only way to stop the laptop from gaining access once it's setup is to use the main pc to literally prevent access to the laptop through the router or switch it off.

I'm not paying by the minute although I am capped on bandwidth, but I presume that I'm only using it if I have IE or outlook express running and doing something?

De Marcus™ 20:44 06 Oct 05

Correct.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…