Disappearing USB

dth 20:09 27 Jul 03

I bought a printer for my daughter's p/c yesterday (to stop her using all the ink from my printer) but am having a problem installing it.

The P/C is a P3 450 and didn't orignally have any USB ports. Had a USB riser fitted a few years and it worked fine - with my usb connected printer.

Back to the problem - when I check Device Manager no USB entries are shown. Checked inside the case and it all seems attached OK. The ps2 mouse also connects to the USB riser and that is working fine.

Many thanks

dth 12:48 28 Jul 03

anybody please?

xania 13:39 28 Jul 03

There are any number of 'experts' who think they understand USB. Frankly, the best way to get a difinitive answer to your probelm is click here.

dth 14:41 28 Jul 03

xania - thanks for the link.

SEASHANTY 14:55 28 Jul 03

Some printers are extremely difficult to install on USB despite having the correct drivers. On originally trying to install my Epson 740 on USB with O/S Windows ME i finally had to resort to buying a parrallel to USB convertor. Then it decided to work. However with Windows XP I had no trouble installing using Windows 2000 drivers. You do not say WHAT printer you have purchased but visit the mnfr's website and see if any later drivers are available. If not just keep trying and hoping!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…