Disappearing Slave HDD

trevpearson 21:29 08 Jan 05

I've just installed a 40 gig slave HDD to help out my overworked out 20 gig Master. (No laughter, please).

The BIOS found the slave, as did (initially) XP PRO, I worked away moving stuff from Master to Slave, no problems.

However, on subsequent start up's, the slave drive "disappears" from Windows and I have to drop into the BIOS settings (which still see the slave) and re-boot. Voila, the slave is seen by Windows.

I am quite used to fitting HDD's but this has got me beat.

Any idea's how to solve this one?

trevpearson 20:39 09 Jan 05

bremner 20:46 09 Jan 05

You say you drop into the BIOS which still seesthe drive - what do you do in the BIOS that makes Windows see it.

Or is it just the reboot that does it.

mrdsgs 20:47 09 Jan 05

sounds like loose/faulty molex power connector.

or underpowered psu

or faulty/loose ide cable

Carpigiani 20:47 09 Jan 05

As you are used to fitting hard drives I am sure you have checked all of the connections.
Something else that can cause this is a loose jumper on the master/slave pins, worth checking to see if the jumper is a tight fit.

trevpearson 22:38 09 Jan 05

Done all the good things, however since posting the request for help, the drive is now being seen by Windows. Very weird!!!!

Thanks to all who responded.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…