Disappearing processor

FireOfBlue 00:47 18 Apr 03

Hi everyone, I have just joined this forum in the hope of getting some of your expert help in my hour of need. I have just built my first computer and everything seemed to go (mostly) according to plan (stupid of me to let my guard down I know!).

The PC has an Asus A7N8X Deluxe motherboard; an Asus v8420 graphics card, 512 mb of DDR; Win XP pro OS; Asus CRW-5224 CDRW;an LG (GDR-8161B) DVD Rom,; a Western digital 80gb Hard Drive; Sony floppy drive; and an AMD 2500+ 33mhz FSB processor; all in a Verres case.

My main problem is that when I boot up the screen says that the processor is an AMD 1100 processor (not an AMD 2500+) - I know that the AMD processors numbers don't relate directly to the ghz speed .. but I thought that an AMD 2500 would be around 2 ghz at least.

I have run various bench marking utilities and the results all show that the processor speed is between 1094 mhz and 1126 MHZ - I used around 6 different bench marking utilities!

Am I missing something obvious? The delivery note says that the processor is an AMD Athlon 2500+ 333mhz retail boxed. I didn't keep the box it came in but think I would have noticed if it said something different. I can't easily get to the processor - under the heat sink / fan to read its serial number.

Does anyone have any ideas? Please!

Thanks in advance for your help

Regards - Andrew

Zaxifone 00:55 18 Apr 03

Either the bios is needing flashed to support the 2500 or you need to go into the bios and change the cpu speed. Check cpu support at the Asus website (it can be a nightmare there by the way).

Z.

NEOSPHEAR 08:31 18 Apr 03

Hmm i know how you feel i purchased a xp2100 only for it to display xp1500+ and i can indeed shed some light onto this matter.First of all check to see what your FSB settings are in your bios, be careful when changing any FSB settings as if you choose a to higher setting you can overclock and possibly blow your cpu so start low and work your way up.I think your bios settings should be 166/166/66 but please check to make sure.
And if that does'nt work then your bios will need updating but go for the first option first leave flashing as a last resort any more info just ask

ardvarc 09:01 18 Apr 03

The XP2500+ Barton operates at 1.83Mhz. Set the BIOS CPU frequency to 166 and if DDR2700 RAM set that to 166 or DDR2100 to 133. Check the manual for FSB jumpers or multiplyers, if any.

rickf 09:27 18 Apr 03

You may need to change the jumpers from the m/o if you cannot change it from the bios. Windows will tellyou. Go to the m/b manual and it will tell you how to set it in the m/b if that is the case. It was with mine with a Gigabyte m/b which I built 2 days ago running an AMD 2.2.

ardvarc 09:56 18 Apr 03

Have a look at the left pane for FSB jumper settings and other info

click here

Yep - it will be the multiplier settings alright and you will need to change these OR runt he board in "Jumperfree" mode so the board will detect the settings by itself.

personally, (Using the Asus A7V333, the model before yours) I prefer to use the dip-switches to set the multiplier.

FireOfBlue 23:26 18 Apr 03

Thankyou very much for all taking the trouble to offer me your help.

I have managed to 'find' my processor by rummaging in the BIOS. There wasn't a FSB setting that i could find to change - but by going into Advanced chipset features I found that I could set all settings to user defined which then let me change the memory frequency - I upped it and rebooted and it showed an athlon 2700 xp+ ! I then reduced it a tad and it now shows an athlon 2500 XP+ with memory running at 180 mhz - seems ok so far!

I looked at the multiplier - which is set to 11 - when I either upped or reduced this the shown processor speed was reduced - strange. Then again I don't yet understand all of these settings / what they do / mean.

Thanks

Andrew :) (i'm saving my questions about connecting the front panel audio port pins and usb connection for later!)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…