Disappearing Icons!

oldseadog 17:46 29 Oct 05

My Volume and Power Remaining Icons on my laptops Task Bar have disappeared.
When I look in Control Panel at the Power Option and Sound & Audio Devices properties the “show Icons on Task Bar box” is ticked, but alas no Icons.
Any ideas what might be wrong?

ade.h 18:30 29 Oct 05

Check your Taskbar properties via a right-click of the Start button. The is an option for the handling of system tray icons and they may possibly have been hidden partially or fully.

ade.h 18:31 29 Oct 05

In properties, select the Taskbar tab and press Customize.

oldseadog 15:43 30 Oct 05

I have checked the settings in the Taskbar properties. The Volume was set at "Hide when inactive" so I switched it to "always on" re-booted but regretably no Icon; it really is a puzzle. There is one anomaly, the Battery simbol in properties is named "get your treats for Halloween, clould I have a virus"? I'll run a few checks.

ade.h 15:53 30 Oct 05

Regarding the volume icon specifically; it has to be enabled in volume options (found in the control panel under Sounds and Audio). Click the Advanced button and tick the box below the sliders. One caveat - my personal experience of the volume icon has been a little bit weird in the past, so I no longer use it and rely on the volume controls on my keyboard instead. Probably not an option on your laptop keyboard, admittedly.

ade.h 15:55 30 Oct 05

Oh, I'm stupid aren't I?! I didn't refresh my memory be re-reading your first post, so I didn't know that you'd already checked the afore-mentioned check box! Sorry.

oldseadog 23:24 30 Oct 05

Thanks for getting back to me. As the saying goes, all the right boxes have been ticked. Fortunately my laptop does have volume control via the keyboard, so I will opt for option two of your suggestions. Much appreciate all your time and help. Should it eventually be resolved I'll post it on the board.

oldseadog 23:24 30 Oct 05

Thanks for getting back to me. As the saying goes, all the right boxes have been ticked. Fortunately my laptop does have volume control via the keyboard, so I will opt for option two of your suggestions. Much appreciate all your time and help. Should it eventually be resolved I'll post it on the board.

ade.h 19:26 31 Oct 05

Happy to help. This might be one of those little Windows niggles that have no obvious fix. At least you have the keyboard controls; that's a better method, I think, because it's quicker.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…