Disappearing Hard Drive

webber_man 14:11 29 Nov 05

Hi,

My parents have a Packard Bell iConnect 1200. It originally came with a 10GB hard drive running Windows ME (2GB used for recovery purposes that cannot be accessed).

I then installed an additional 40GB hard drive and Windows XP on the exisiting hard drive.

All has been well - well, no complaints from the parents! - until this morning when i'm told that they are unable to do anything due to lack of space/memory. When i looked i was amazaed to find that the hard drive (the 10GB one with XP installed) only had 177mb of space!!!

I have looked where i can on the 8GB of hard drive that actually shows up (the otheer 2 being hidden for recovery purposes) and there just isn't 8GB of anything on it!

Can anyone please tell me what i need to do to free up some space or recover the space thats lost? Does this mean the hard drive is about to die?

What are my options? I have absolutely no idea what's happened or why.

Any help at all would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Chegs ®™ 14:21 29 Nov 05

Turn off System Restore,then reactivate it again.Run ccleaner click here manually configure Recycle bin properties,manually setup IE temp files,there are many ways to recover XP's bloated way of doing things.

webber_man 14:40 29 Nov 05

Thanks - i'll give that a look. Are you sure i can use that to reclaim 2-3-4GB's of space???!!

webber_man 14:52 29 Nov 05

Thanks again! Managed to reclaim 1.85GB! IS there anyway i get get more back?

Or does anyone know of a way to access and use the 2GB of hard disk Packard Bell kept for the Windows ME installation that is no longer on there?

Chegs ®™ 16:21 29 Nov 05

If you get hold of Partition Magic,it will allow you to reclaim the space without damaging the XP install.Other than that,you could reinstall XP but during/before starting delete the PB partition by format,etc.This would also get rid of the accumulated guff.I had XP on a 7.5Gb partition,even after several years usage the used area of this partition was still under 3Gbs(as I always chose "custom" installs and put the program files onto another partition)

webber_man 20:12 29 Nov 05

Thanks again! Appreciate your reply.

I'l have a look at that too. Are there any free utilities that do the same kind of thing?

Chegs ®™ 22:05 29 Nov 05

Not to my knowledge,although I have several partitioning apps(most are linux based)none that I've used are as easy and "data safe" as Partition Magic v8,which I also have.

webber_man 11:42 30 Nov 05

Thanks for your help.

Haven't fully sorted the issue out as yet. But thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…