Disappearing external HDD...

dogbreath1 18:48 19 Feb 05

Have reposted this thread since I suspect that my addition to a thread of yesterday (which had been marked resolved) would probable go un-noticed by some. External HDD has 'disappeared' again....
Booted up today. Lacie external HDD again not recognised. However, Mass Storage Device 'H' displayed in My Computer. Properties shows the latter device to be empty. Device Manager doesn't show up errors in USB root hub. Tried rebooting twice but system wouldn't fire up with the Lacie connected (similar to a non-system disc error I suppose). In each case, as soon as Lacie disconnected, XP booted as it should. With the Lacie still disconnected, the ghost Mass Storage Device 'H' still displayed in My Computer. Any help would be much appreciated.

dogbreath1 19:22 19 Feb 05

Fruit Bat / \O/ \. Yesterday you suggested that I might be able to disconnect the ext. HDD and reinstall it using the Add New Hardware wizard. This has indeed worked for now. The drive is recognised as 'G'. Drive 'H' when checked out turned out to be my HP 2210 all-in-one printer! The 'H' drive showed up in 'detected hardware' in the Add New Hardware wizard as an HP 2200 device and the My Computer 'H' Drive icon promptly disappeared when the HP printer was turned off. Anyone any idea what's going on please?

mgmcc 19:29 19 Feb 05

Does the printer have a "memory card" slot for use with a camera's card, as this could appear as a drive in "My Computer"?

dogbreath1 19:34 19 Feb 05

mgmcc. Thanks for that.. yes it does have a multicard reader. But it's never before been recognised by My Computer. Strange, but I'd never considered the card reader to be a drive but I suppose in a way it is.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…