Disappearing DVD Drive!

FireOfBlue 17:38 19 Sep 04

Hi people, as ever, would be glad of some advice.

Had to reformat and reinstall XP pro last night - very tedious but computer had slowed to a crawl.

I'm just in the middle of reinstalling everything, but noticed that my DVD / CDRW combi drive (with integral card readers)does not show in my comuter or in device manager. My other DVD RW drive still shows in both. Additionally, the card reader shows as four separate drives (as it should)- although they run off a USB connector to the motehr board and not an IDE cable.

When I boot up and go into the BIOS, the Combi drive is shown there as secondary slave ( I think) - has anyone any idea what is happening, or how I might fix this.

Thanks - in advance

Fire

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:22 19 Sep 04

Try scanning for harware changes in device manager.

Or Add new hardware CD/ DVD

Drivers as follows

C:\Windows\system32\storprop.dll
C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\imapi.sys
C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\cdrom.sys
C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\rebook.sys
C:\Windows\system32\drivers\pfc.sys
C:\Windows\system32\drivers\MxlW2k.sys

FireOfBlue 19:44 19 Sep 04

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply - much appreciated.

However, couldn't detect anything when scanned for hardware changes, nor when using the add new hardware control panel.

Could it be that the cable is damaged - but then, would it show in the BIOS?

I checked the BIOS for the missing combi drive and it shows as the secondary slave. There is no primary slave.

My sole HD is set as primary Master and the other DVD RW / CDRW as secondary Master.

Thanks, in advance - again

Fire

FireOfBlue 19:53 19 Sep 04

Hi again,

forgpt to say that I'm a bit dim, and didn't understand thedriver references.

Thanks

Fire

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…