Disappearing drives

kimtrnc 12:50 16 May 09

A few months ago, my 2 flash drives, which had always worked well ( and continue to work well on my laptop ) became invisible to Explorer, thoguh still visible in Administrative/Computer Management/Disk management. This forum suggested that I change the drive letters, which I did several times, without effect.
When changing the drive letter(to "X" for instance, it also asked for a drive path, which I assumed would be x:\ ?

I eventually got around the problem by opening the window ( from Disk Management) and creating a shortcut on the desktop.

As I have now become thoroughly suspicious of my main machine ( XP Pro SP3)I decided to buy an external USB hard drive to clone this machine, for safety.
EXACTLY the same problem - I can see the new drive in Admin, but not in Explorer.

Am I doing something stupid, or is it time for a new machine, which I can't really afford at the moment....
Cheers
Kimig

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:33 16 May 09

Use Drive clean up to remove USB device drive info from the registry
click here

then replug in device let windows find and reinstall it

kimtrnc 16:41 16 May 09

thanksFruit bat - but it doesn't work!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:43 16 May 09

I can see the new drive in Admin, but not in Explorer.

Ave you formatted it yet?

do the flash drives work after using Drive claen?

kimtrnc 17:14 16 May 09

The drive is formatted NTFS.

The flash drives do not show, except from the shortcuts which I mentioned

kimtrnc 05:41 08 Jul 09

I have asked this before, but despite lots of advice from PCA gurus, I am still unable to see my flash drives in Explorer. I can view them through Computer Management, but this is tedious.

I have changed the paths & drive letters (several times)placed short cuts to the drives on the desktop ( which never work!) everything everyone has advised. Removed and reinstalled USB drivers...etc..etc.

Is it time for a format c:? Or even (gasp in pocket) a NEW COMPUTER?

Chris the Ancient 08:53 08 Jul 09

Have you ever installed TweakUI?

Within that program there is the ability to 'disable' drives. I know, it happened to me!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…