disappearing drives!

bobbyalec 21:48 07 Sep 05

In March I had a DVD player and also a DVD writer installed on my PC and everything seemed OK, but tonight I clicked on "My Computer" and the DVDplayer and the CDplayer seem to have disappeared from this display, where they were all usually there.
It shows the Floppy(A), Mswin-98(C) and (D)seems to be the DVDwriter.
The PC has been acting up and freezing a lot lately into the bargain.
I have Panda Antivirus Platinum Security installed

PC has AMD Athlon-XP Barton 2600+333MHz FSB
Jetway V400DA Mainboard
512MB Major 2700 PC333b DDR
Seagate Barracuda ATA IV 40Gb 7200rpm

Hope this is enough info and thanks in advance for any advice gratefully received.

can you see the drives in the bios?

Chegs ® 22:48 07 Sep 05

When I 1st built this system,my DVD-RW+CD-RW drives would frequently vanish from explorer.I had to reboot(sometimes more than once)to get them back.I tried the New hardware wizard,but windows simply couldn't see the drives anymore.I eventually traced it to the jumpers on the drives,one was set as master,the other as cable select.Changed the CS drive to slave and they stopped vanishing. :-)

Sans le Sou 22:55 07 Sep 05

If they have vanished from explorer/bios and device manager you could have a loose IDE cable to the mainboard.

VoG II 15:29 08 Sep 05

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…