Disappearing desktop icons

longbelly 07:34 20 Nov 06

Every now and again my desktop gets the shakes!

When I open "My Computer" and then click on "local disc" or whatever, the desktop icons disappear and after two or three seconds of rattling reappear and settle down again.

This has been going on for a long time and I've got used to it, but it would be nice to stop it, but how? I'm on Windows XP SP2 by the way.

Gongoozler 08:12 20 Nov 06

When I click on the C drive in "My Computer", the Icons sometimes briefly flicker, but certainly not for seconds. What speed is your processor, how much memory does your computer have, how full is your C drive and when was the last time you defragmented it?

longbelly 08:39 20 Nov 06

My processor is an Athlon 1200 with 512 MB SDRRAM which serves me quite well with XP and I'm only using about a quarter of my 40GB disc capacity. I defragged last week.

VoG II 09:18 20 Nov 06

Try IconCache click here 6th one down.

longbelly 10:58 20 Nov 06

Be patient - what is that and what do I do with it?

VoG II 11:09 20 Nov 06

It increases the size of the icon cache.

Download (save) it. Double click on the saved file. Click OK when asked if you want to add it to the registry.

Alternatively you could edit the registry manually but the above is safer.

longbelly 15:41 20 Nov 06

Thanks, I'll give it a try - I assume I can uninstall if it's no good?

Gongoozler 16:46 20 Nov 06

longbelly, you can't uninstall it, its a registry change, but if you set a restore point before you make the change, System Restore will get you back to where you were.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017