Disappearing CDROM & DVD

PHayes 07:25 01 Sep 03

Having used WinXP for several months without any problems I'm a little perplexed. On Thursday of last week of my two CD & DVD Drives my CD drive disappeared & the red light of my combined HP CD Writer constantly shows. My DVD drive worked o.k.

Then over the weekend my DVD has stopped working. When checking Device Manager they do not appear in the list. I have tried rebooting, searching for new hardware but to no avail. I obviously can't pop in a CD to update the software & I've tried to find the actual software for the HP internal 9100 CD Writer but again without success. The LG DVD also been very difficult to track down on the web.

Can anyone suggest what's gone wrong please?

Bodi 09:31 01 Sep 03

Do any of these devices appear in Device Manager? If so, why not try removing them altogether - "Remove" - rebooting, and see if Windows finds and reinstalls them?

May help,

PHayes 18:52 01 Sep 03

No, they do not appear in Device Manager, and I've tried everything that I can think of. However, this morning I used System Restore and restored back to the beginning of Aug 2003 and then completed the two Microsoft Critical Updates again. I've come back to the computer some eight hours later and they appear to be working again.

Although the icons appear to be just ordinary window icons and not the CDROM icons as normal. What is going on. I have completed a full virus system scan & found nothing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…