Disapearing sound

jaimie 22:14 14 Dec 04

I have recently built a new PC using an Asus MOBO A7V8X-X, Sempron processor and Win XP. The Mobo has built in sound which keeps being struck dumb. All controls and levels are set correctly but all sounds disappear. Restarting the comp restores the sound for about half a day. Re-installing the drivers restores it for a few days but it always vanishes again. I'm using AVG anti- virus which hasn't reported anything unusual. Anyone have any ideas on what could be the cause please?

Kind regards

Jaimie

Giggle n' Bits 22:21 14 Dec 04

The Drivers are included on the yellow CD with the Soundmax software which I take it you have installed via CD.

Also did you attach the Audio leads from CD/DVD drives to motherboard, they do not need to be fitted as XP and the Audio Data flow can transfer via Ribbon.

Ok, Did you update the BIOS to v.1013 ? As the motherboard needs this update for Sempron's

Let us know more on the Optical Drives please Make/Model No.

I take it also XP is a Clean Install, if you have changed the motherboard and left your older drivers could be another reason.

jaimie 05:24 15 Dec 04

Bluestar
Yes I have installed and indeed re-installed the drivers from the yellow CD. It was a clean install of XP with SP2. The bios was updated to V1013. All sound vanishes including the windows default sounds.

Regauding the update of the bios, I followed the instructions on the asus page, when I come to install the update from a floppy it went through the motions and then said this file does not refer to this bios, however when I checked the version number it had moved on to 1013.

Thanks Bluestar

Jaimie

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…