Disabling windows messenger

TimCDC 11:14 27 Oct 04

I know I can effectively disable windows messenger by renaming the "Messenger" file in program files as something else. I've also been looking at the system configuration utility through msconfig. Presumably I could alternatively just uncheck the msmsgs box in startup (or is this starting up something else?)

rawprawn 11:20 27 Oct 04

No, you can untick msmsgs

Gongoozler 11:22 27 Oct 04

I think the correct procedure is disable Messenger via Services (Control Panel - Performance and Maintenance - Administrative Tools - Services. Scroll down to Messenger, right click and select "Properties", change Startup Type to "Disabled".

Head hurts 11:28 27 Oct 04

there is a small programme as above devised by steve gibson that downloads extremely quickly and with a click of the button you can enable or disable windows messenger.

TimCDC 11:38 27 Oct 04

Hmm, intriguingly if I navigate to Services, using the route described by Gongoozler, I find that it is already disabled. And yet in the system tray in the bottom right hand corner (I'm running XP PRO SP1) I have the little icon telling me "Windows Messenger - not signed in". Do I somehow have to disable it twice, pesky little thing?!

iscanut2 11:39 27 Oct 04

Try this link ....click here

TimCDC 11:45 27 Oct 04

many thanks!

anchor 14:20 27 Oct 04

This is a good simple one, to disable or remove Windows Messenger.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…