Disabling trackpad on laptop

the old man 10:29 02 Mar 10

Can anyone tell me how to disable the trackpad on Dell laptop please.
please dont ask why. I just want to do it.
thank you

ame 10:50 02 Mar 10

Suggest going into Device Manager and slecting Mice and Other Pointing Devices and disabling it.

ame 10:52 02 Mar 10

Just in case you haven't been there before - right click on My Computer (on desktop icon or start list item), select Properties, select Hardware tab, and click on Device Manager. Sorry if that's obvious!

MAJ 11:05 02 Mar 10

click here You'll need to have the "alps Pointing device Driver running at startup. It defaults to run at startup, so if you haven't stopped it, you should be good to go.

Peter 11:11 02 Mar 10

Quite often there is an "Fn + Key" combination to switch the trackpad on and off. This is, I think, to help proper typist while they are typing.
Us "Hunt & Peck" two finger typists don't get the problem.

On my Advent 4211 netbook the "Fn + Key" combination is Fn+F3. The F3 key has a small picture of a trackpad on it in blue.

Peter.

the old man 11:30 02 Mar 10

Found link but sadly it did not help. My options to disable are just not there. this is such a pain.

MAJ 11:51 02 Mar 10

If you have the Touchpad icon in your Systray (beside the clock), rightclick on the icon and choose "Touchpad Properties". This image should pop up click here Click on the top lefthand icon (Device Select/Button Settings) and this image should appear click here Make sure you click on the "Device Select" tab (arrowed in my image) and the Disable option should be there (also arrowed in my image. Are you seeing those options?

the old man 11:56 02 Mar 10

I am using Windows 7 and I have tried to find solution on Dell website but cannot find anything that is the same as mine. I have an Inspiron 1720

the old man 11:58 02 Mar 10

Don't have the icon anywhere.

MAJ 12:02 02 Mar 10

Are you seeing the images I posted anywhere?

the old man 13:00 02 Mar 10

Dont see them anywhere. tried to download the driver from Dell website to try and help with this but all that happens is that I get is the download manager for Dell drivers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…