Disabling onboard soundcard, installing PCI s.card

vaughan007 15:28 27 Jun 05

Hello all,

I am just about to install a new sound card and I know I have to disable the on board sound card first in the BIOS.

I have been through all the BIOS menus and can only find two references to anything that sounds remotely connected to the sound card.

I am installing a PCI sound card.

One BIOS entry says...

Audio Access Interface [EDB Bus]

I assume this should be changed to [PCI Bus]

?

And the other is...

SIS AC97 Audio [Enabled]

I assume this should be changed to [Disabled]

?

Are these the only two entries in the BIOS I need to change before installing my new card?

Or is there something else I need to look for?

Thanks.

Stuartli 15:47 27 Jun 05

I would suggest that you only need to Disable the onboard sound chipset in the Bios and then install your sound card.

vaughan007 15:57 27 Jun 05

Thanks Stuart.

So this would be...

SIS AC97 Audio [Enabled]

Changed to [Disabled]

?

Stuartli 18:53 27 Jun 05

Got it in one.

Stuartli 18:54 27 Jun 05

Don't forget to Save Changes before Exiting.

Pine Man 19:29 27 Jun 05

After you have disabled the onboard sound in BIOS make sure you remove any software, and reference to it, from your computer that used to make the onboard sound work before installing the new software. If you don't there could be a conflict at startup resulting in your startup tune stuttering.

Stuartli 22:33 27 Jun 05

Quite correct - in fact you could well have two lots of sound a fraction of a second apart...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…