Disabling Excel Auto backup copy

Simsy 10:03 27 Oct 03

Hi folks,

I'm having a little problem with an Excel file at work. It's not the end of the world, but this one file seems to have the "Always create a backup copy" feature turned on...

How can I disable this? It's Excel XP running on Win2000.

I know how to do it in Word, but the option doesn't seem to be in the same place in Excel.

Thanks in anticipation,

Regards,

Simsy

AndyJ 10:07 27 Oct 03

If you open the file, click on "Save As" under File menu. When the window opens you should see an option "Tools" in the right hand corner. Click on the little down arrow, select "General Options". I think you'll find it under there.

Simsy 10:12 27 Oct 03

That was in fact the second place I'd looked... and I hadn't seen it! Must pay more attention!

Regards,

Simsy

hgrock 10:16 27 Oct 03

As Andy says you can turn it off there, not certain if that applies to all of XL or just that file because XL does not autosave by default like word, it's an add in you have to install, i may be wrong but would someone enlighten me

Simsy 10:32 27 Oct 03

Yes you're correct... the autosave does need an add-in to be installed.

It wasn't the autosave feature, but rather the feature to create another, backup, copy, (with a different extention, I think it's .xlk), when it is saved.

Thanks anyway,

Regards,

Simsy

Taran 10:32 27 Oct 03

You're righrt about the add-in.

OPen Excel, click on Tools, Add-ins and either add or remove the tick from the Auotosave add-in.

Note that this adds or removes the add in that allows the autosave feature to run at all.

To leave the feature installed and turn it off for the sheet you are wokring on, click on Tools, Autosave (this only appears in your menu if it is enabled) then you can remove the ticks from a couple of boxes to disable the feature for that workbook.

Regards

Taran

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…