disabling dial-up sounds

skylynx 15:27 07 Apr 04

I have windows XP and Aol 9.0. I read there is a way to disable that dialing sound AOL makes when you first sign on to the web. I go to control panel but can't find anyplace where it allows you to check options for the Modem. Anyone know how to do this?

rawprawn 15:51 07 Apr 04

Control Panel/Phone and Modem Options/Modem Tab/Properties/modem Tab Again/ Turn sound Off I think that should work even with AOL

Old Shep 15:51 07 Apr 04

Have you tried CONTROL PANEL/PHONE&MODEM On the box that comes up click on the MODEM tab then PROPERTIES - MODEM tab again and turn the volume off. This may be what you are looking for.

Old Shep 15:53 07 Apr 04

Sorry about that my typing skills need a bit of work

ened 15:54 07 Apr 04

Go into Device Manager (Control Panel-performance & Maintenance - system-hardware - is one way) click on the + next to modems.
Select your modem
Right click and choose properties
click on Modem
It is there.

skylynx 16:24 07 Apr 04

Thanks all, and you spelling is fine Ole Shep. now I can go surfing without telling every noseybody.

Stuartli 16:36 07 Apr 04

It's Phone and Modem Options in CP.

If, as suggested above, you go into Device Manager, highlight your modem and then Properties, under the Modem tab you should find a slider.

This can be set from Off to On with the dialling tone level increasing the further right the slider is set.

I prefer to hear something of the modem dialling sound as you can tell instantly if the connection is not being made properly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event live stream | Apple October Event live blog: Watch Apple unveil new MacBook Pro, new…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Lida designs a cross-stitch email sent to thousands of Ikea Family members

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: Faster performance, a brighter screen, water-ret…