Disable/Enable Network in Win98

DieSse 23:34 04 Jun 05

I run broadband off a long-distance microwave link. basically it works OK (no landline here) at 256K/256K speeds. It runs through a DHCP facility which assigns IP and DNSs dynamically.

Randomly it stops - it's not a problem specific to me - all the users around here get the same.

In WinXP, when it stops, I can right click the network connection, disable it, right click again, enable it - and that usually does the trick. So I get by reasonably painlessly.

But i have some friends running Win98 - and there doesn't seem to be a way of doing the same trick that I have found. Rebooting is a fairly painful way to fix it! - so is waiting, sometimes for a very long time!

Does anyone know a possible way of renwing the connection on Win98 without a reboot - please.

LastChip 15:18 05 Jun 05

Go to Start; Run; and type the command;

winipcfg [OK]

Then click;

Release all

Renew all

and see if that works.

If it does, you can create a shortcut to winipcfg on the desktop. It resides in the C:\Windows directory.

selfbuild 17:22 05 Jun 05

They could also try logging off then logging back in again.... much quicker than a restart....

DieSse 11:17 09 Jun 05

Thanx for the suggestions - will try them when I get access to a Win98 system - Closed for now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…