Disabled System Restore

patricklowin 19:30 PM 23 Aug 11

I am running a HP Compaq dc 5100. On downloading software to speed up my computer it became obvious that it was malware which I got rid of as quick as I could but not before it had disabled the system restore which I can't recover. At the same time on opening up my computer it sticks and windows installer tries to open 'Picture Gallery' and will only boot up if I use task manager to end that task. From then on all is ok.

Patrick Lowin

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:47 PM 23 Aug 11

Installer Clean up may solve one problem

We need to know what op system XP, Vista, or W7, to advise about system restore.

patricklowin 15:43 PM 24 Aug 11

Thank you Fruit Bat, I am running XP on my HP computer Patrick

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:29 PM 24 Aug 11

Steps to turn on System Restore

1. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
  2. In the System Properties dialog box, click the System Restore tab.
  3. Click to clear the Turn off System Restore check box. Or, click the Turn off System Restore on all drives check box.
  4. Click OK.

After a few moments, the System Properties dialog box closes.

Also read here

patricklowin 16:06 PM 28 Aug 11

Thank you Fruit Bat, I tried to restore as you suggested but directly I clicked okay the check box tick appeared again and came it said there was a problem. Is it safe to use restoreguard.com to do the trick

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Cyber Monday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Cyber Monday tech deals, sales, discounts & offers

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

#AdventSauceJoyMince - generate a gratuitous Christmas tweet for #GivingTuesday charity

New MacBook Air release date, specs and rumours: 11in MacBook Air to be discontinued