DISABLE VIRTUAL MEMORY/PAGE FILE?

DAGWOOOD 03:48 03 Jan 04

I'M USING XP PRO AND WAS WANDERING IF I DISABLE MY PAGE FILE FUNCTION WHETHER IT WOULD SPEED UP MY BROWSING AS I USUALY MOVE BETWEEN THE SAME WEB PAGES IN THE SAME SESSION. MY REASONING BEING THAT IF I DISABLE THE VIRTUAL MEMORY, THE VISITED WEB PAGES WILL BE IN MY RAM AND SO I COULD ACCESS THEM QUICKER. MY MACHINE HAS 256mb RAM AND I'LL SHORTLY BE UPGRADING TO 512mb. ANY ADVICE/HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED. THANX.

Terrahawk 05:04 03 Jan 04

speed of web browsing can be dictated by many things. page content Eg (if it loaded up with flash) Speed of the server you are accessing quality of the line being used contention ratio to name a few i would leave the page file alone as it will have little effect and you may need it later for memory intensive programs

DAGWOOOD 05:45 03 Jan 04

THANKS FOR THE RESPONSE. THE POINTS YOU MADE I ALREADY KNEW. I'M SORRY IN THAT I MAY HAVE BEEN TOO AMBIGUOUS ABOUT WHAT I MEANT. WHEN I AM USING THE WEB, I OFTEN GO BACK TO PAGES I HAVE VISITED EARLIER AND SO SUFFER FROM THE PROBLEM OF WAITING FOR THE PAGE TO LOAD OFF MY HARD DRIVE(FROM MY TEMP.INTERNET FILES). I AM TRYING TO KEEP THESE PAGES IN MY RAM TO STOP THIS FROM HAPPENING. I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY THEY DON'T STAY IN MY RAM AS I HAVE OVER 100MB OF FREE RAM TO PLAY WITH. TO AVOID ANY FUTHER CONFUSSION, I KNOW WHEN I EXIT MY BROWSER I WILL LOOSE WHATS IN MY RAM. AGAIN THANK YOU Terrahawk.

Jester2K 10:12 03 Jan 04

Try using Cacheman click here to tweak the memory settings instead of disabling the PageFile.

User-312386 10:26 03 Jan 04

1st things 1st . STOP SHOUTING. Typing in bold all the time in cap is considered as shouting and hard to read.

Ok i think what you are really looking to do is have something like a RAM drive where all the pages go direct to your ram rather than your temp files/page files

if you go to google and type in RAM drive you will find loads of information there

DAGWOOOD 21:34 04 Jan 04

thanx for the input. i'll explore these options. i didn't realise typing in upper case was bad netiquette. sorry.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…