disable onboard graphics card

iqs 22:00 10 Feb 07

Hello
I posted a thread for a friend some time ago,please see below.He has purchased a new card,but when we accessed the BIOS,we were unable to find an option to disable the onboard graphics card.

The first option we accessed was Intergrated Peripherals .There were three sub options Onboard IDE Device Onboard PCI Device and Onboard Super IO Device.Each was accessed,but still no disable option.

The second option was Advanced Chipset Features.Whwn accessed there were two sub options AGP Aperture Size 128mb and Onboard Frame Buffer 64mb.

His graphics card is using 64mb,is the Frame Buffer the disbale option?.Also does the Aperture Size mean he can only use Graphics Cards with onboard memoty of 128mb max?.Sorry for asking again .Many thanks,IQS
--------------------------------------------------Hi ,A friend has the following intergrated graphics card/mother board installed ,ATI RADEON 9100 IGP.
He would like to install a new card,but what is the correct installation procedure please.
Currently the card is using 64 mb of system memory.He is aware it is not as simple as removing a seperate graphics card.Any simple clear advice please : ) .Thank you,Greg via IQS

Stuartli 22:13 10 Feb 07

Inserting a graphics card may automatically disable the onboard graphics.

You can set the AGP aperture size in the Bios at 64MB or 128MB without affecting the card's performance.

Stuartli 22:14 10 Feb 07

This explanation may help:

click here

Strawballs 22:21 10 Feb 07

On my first PC the only way to dissable the onboard graphics was a jumper on the mother board

Ashrich 22:22 10 Feb 07

You can always allocate 0mb to the internal graphics , but most modern boards will recognise an installed card and disable the onboard stuff for you .

Ashley

Totally-braindead 22:49 10 Feb 07

I've upgraded 3 PCs with onboard graphics, 2 were disabled automatically and the third has a setting in the BIOS to alter it. If you can't find anything in the BIOS just try it it will probably automatically disable.

iqs 20:49 12 Feb 07

Hello ,and thank you all for your help.Hopefully I will have time this weekend to give it another go.I will keep you informed.Cheers : )

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5