Disabilty issues

steve263000 11:01 27 Sep 05

I have been asked to make up small site for a friend who makes wedding cakes. The site will be no problem, but what I am concerned with is the law which now says that all sites must be compliant with text readers and so on. Could someone please either give me a quick run down on what is expected, or point me to a site that will show me.

My own site is purely a personal one, so although I have done my best, as it is not likely to be seen by a huge amount of people, it not so urgent. But this will be a public site and I would lime to get it right from the start.

Taran 11:52 27 Sep 05

You've just asked one of the biggest web development questions there currently is out there.

Designing for accessibility compliance is a vast topic, and not one to be easily broken down into a simple 'if you A, B, C then all will be as it should be' scenario.

First port of call should be the W3C site click here which contains more information than you probably want to know about accessibility issues.

A more appropriate (in your case) series of links are click here click here click here - this assumes that you are still using FrontPage of course. If you aren't perhaps you could indicate the software you will probably be using since it could make a difference to how best to proceed.

You will see from the content in the above links that FrontPage has some interesting tools to assist in developing accessible pages and sites, from ALT tags for images to DOCTYPE headers and more.

Spend some time reading the content I've given you the links for, and next time you're in FrontPage hit the F1 key or click on Help and type in the word accessibility to the help content search. you will get tons of built in explanations, hints and so on already built into the FrontPage help files.

Hope that helps a bit.

T

steve263000 16:38 27 Sep 05

Taran, as usual your knowledge has bought the answers that I have been looking for. There is enough there to keep me busy for a while, and I will certainly use the accessability checker. I am still using Front Page of course. I will check my own site out first to try it out. It will be a couple of weeks before I am ready to make a start on the new site due to holidays etc. When I do put it together, I will put it up for comment.

Once again thank you. Steve.

PurplePenny 20:09 27 Sep 05

(one of Taran's links) do a very nice accessibilty checker called Wave click here. It displays its results visually, overlaid on your page so you know exactly what you've done right or wrong, much easier to use than many of the others.

That same page also has links to various other accessibilty tools and checkers, including one for colour-blindness (the disability that many overlook -- despite a significant proportion of the population suffering from it to some degree).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…